Thursday, November 15, 2007

In the Woods

This book, written by Tana French, was a captivating and, I felt, a powerful book. This murder mystery is told from the point of view of Rob Ryan, and murder detective who relates to us his attempts to solve a murder and, hopefully, to solve his own mystery. When Rob was only twelve, his two best friends disappeared in the very place where this murder took place. Rob must struggle with his own personal demons while trying to find the killer of a little girl. The characters are very realistic and complex. As the story progressed, I became more and more emotionally involved in their lives, and increasingly pained as things went from bad to worse. When I finished this novel, I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next couple of days.

I actually listened to the audiobook and found that it was very well done. The reading was excellent, and I felt like the narrator, Steven Crossley, really was Rob Ryan and that he was telling me about the case.

An excellent book that I highly recommend but with a warning that this is not a "happy" book.

No comments: